The Fine Art Textiles Award will return for its third year in 2021.
FATA is an international juried exhibition open to all amateur and practising artists using textiles as their medium, and offering a prize of £5,000 for the winning piece.
The Fine Art Textiles Award recognises the creative talents and skills of a broad community of high-calibre artists (including quilters) and celebrates textiles’ rightful place amongst high art.
Our aim was to present work that meets the following criteria and was of a standard that:
- Would be considered as fine art and worthy of premium gallery space
- Transcends its craft or making process, standing alone as visual art.
- Is clearly rooted in and reflecting of the inspiration, source, concept or idea of the artist, with fully resolved composition.
- Is rooted within the medium of textile, meaning that cloth and thread are used as the pivotal materials/media.
- Both 2D and 3D works are welcome, with the exception of garments unless said garments present as fine art. All disciplines, processes and media are therefore welcome, as long as the key/pivotal materials are clearly rooted in textiles. Without providing an exhaustive list, in terms of process this might include hand and/or machine stitch, weaving, collage/piecing, wrapping or binding, thread ‘drawing’, surface design, knitting and crochet. In terms of media, other elements can be incorporated such as dyes, discharge media, paint, paper, resin, wax and so forth.
The jury will comprise of established artists working with textiles; arts curators, academics or critics / historians and a representative of Upper Street Events. Selection will be made from digital images and the jury will get together via video link to build a shortlist. Once shortlisted applicants have been informed, they may be asked to submit additional images or information about their piece. We then intend to hold a second phase of judging where the ‘final cut’ will be decided.
In order to keep standards high, the organisers and jury reserve the right to decline short-listed works on viewing.
The FATA Exhibition
The Fine Art Textiles Award exhibition will be on display at The Festival of Quilts in July/August 2021 (alongside the exhibition from 2020). The organisers also plan to present the exhibition at The Knitting & Stitching Shows in London and Harrogate, so entrants must be prepared for their piece to be travelling for a period of four to five months.