Entrants to this category should have been quilting for fewer than three years. Pieces entered into this category should have been completed within the last 2 years and must not have been previously exhibited as part of any event, exhibition or gallery.
Previous 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners of the Novice category are not eligible to enter. Entrants should not hold a formal qualification in a textiles or related subject.
★ 1st Prize: £1000
★ 2nd Prize: £500
★ 3rd Prize: £250
In all categories the judges will be looking for:
- Visual impact and the emotional response the quilt evokes
- The originality and content of the design
- The composition and use of colour
- The choice and suitability of materials
- Surface design and embellishment
- Construction and accuracy of piecing
- Design and execution of applique
- Design and execution of quilting
- A suitable finish (the edges of the piece) and how well the piece hangs
Credit is given for individuality and innovation in all entries.
See below examples of previous winning quilts in this category. Please don’t let these fantastic pieces deter you from entering, we welcome submissions from all quilting levels!