Quilts that draw on the traditions of quilt making, through piecing, appliqué or wholecloth, but have an original approach. Makers may use non-traditional fabrics, fabric printing and dyeing, embellishment and unusual construction methods. Quilts should have an original design and demonstrate sure use of colour. They may be sewn by hand, machine or any combination.
1st Prize – £1000
2nd Prize – £500
3rd Prize – £250
In all categories the judges will be looking for:
- Visual impact and the emotional response the quilt evokes
- The originality and content of the design
- The composition and use of colour
- The choice and suitability of materials
- Surface design and embellishment
- Construction and accuracy of piecing
- Design and execution of applique
- Design and execution of quilting
- A suitable finish (the edges of the piece) and how well the piece hangs
Credit is given for individuality and innovation in all entries.