From 2019 onwards, the award previously known as Fine Art Quilt Masters has been broadened to become the Vlieseline Fine Art Textiles Award, an international juried exhibition open to all amateur and practising artists using textiles as their medium.
The aim is to continue to celebrate art quilts but to lift the restrictions associated with the word ‘quilt’ (ie three layers pierced with stitch).
The new Fine Art Textiles Award will recognise the creative talents and skills of a broader community of high-calibre artists and will celebrate textiles’ rightful place amongst high art.
Our aim is to present work that meets the following criteria and is of a standard that:
- would be considered as fine art and worthy of premium gallery space.
- transcends its craft or making process, standing alone as visual art.
- is clearly rooted in and reflecting of the inspiration, source, concept or idea of the artist, with fully resolved composition.
- is rooted within the medium of textile, meaning that cloth and thread are used as the pivotal materials/media.
Both 2D and 3D works are welcome, with the exception of garments unless said garments present as fine art. All disciplines, processes and media are therefore welcome, as long as the key/pivotal materials are clearly rooted in textiles. Without providing an exhaustive list, in terms of process this might include hand and/or machine stitch, weaving, collage/piecing, wrapping or binding, thread ‘drawing’, surface design, knitting and crochet. In terms of media, other elements can be incorporated such as dyes, discharge media, paint, paper, resin, wax and so forth.
How to Enter:
- Click here for the ‘Rules and submission criteria’
- The deadline for entering is 3rd May 2019 and the fee for entering is £27.00 (plus a transaction fee)